Saturday, November 15, 2008

Final Reflection

In various social settings, people use communication to share their ideas, express their thoughts and convey their life stories . In this way, it helps to build up the interpersonal relationships between two people. I believe that if there is no communication, there can be no relationship. But if there is effective communication, healthy relationships can be established (as mentioned in my first blog post assignment).

At the start of this course, I acknowledged that effective communication is imperative in building up good relationships with people. However, it was during this course when I got to learn more about the process of human communication. It helps me in recognizing the complexity of human communication and the many relationships that it involves. As such, I become highly aware of my nonverbal cues and listening habits during communication. In the past, I did not pay much attention to these. Besides, I used to be less courageous to state my opinion clearly and forcefully and decline under peer pressure. I have now learnt to be in control of my actions while knowing my rights and assert to create a win-win situation with people, especially at work.

With good communication within my group, I am really glad that I have built up good relationship with my two other group mates - Wen Jie and Chiew Yen. I have honed my report writing and research skills through the research project. In addition, I have also learnt how to apply the principles of good business writing in various contexts, not forgetting about the 7Cs of effective communication as well. Once, during my temporary job at a Human Resource Department, the HR manager requested me to sign a document on her behalf. I did not know what she meant by that until the director secretary explained to me the use of a proxy signature. In my opinion, these should have been taught to us earlier for good understanding of the written business communication!

Another valuable skills that I have developed in this module is the job search skills. Through drafting of cover letters and resume and the conference with my tutor Miss Kim, I now have a better idea of how to prepare an attractive and persuasive resume and job application letter. The trial interview with Xueli and Wilson was interesting. The lessons in class also made me more aware of how I can prepare for interviews in the future.

All in all, I find the module an enjoyable and enriching one. With the skills that I have developed in this course, I hope I can communicate effectively in the workplace in the near future. Thank you to Miss Kim and my classmates for all your guidance. I would definitely recommend my friends to take this module.

Cheers!




9 comments:

-wendy- said...

Hey gal,

Learning is part of the process. Everyone learnt as they grow. Just put in the effort as you go along, it will go fine. =)

The skills you learnt is something you shouldn't forget as it's useless to you like in a semester time or so? ^^ Communication in workplace or in school is indeed important!

Good luck in your coming exam and keep in touch!
Cheers!
Wendy
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi Sab,

It is really good that you are learning to be more assertive of your ideas and thoughts. I feel that that would show others your self-confidence and is definitely needed at work, especially if you have to manage a bunch of subordinates.

cheers

Sabrina He said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sabrina He said...

Hi Wendy,

I definitely hope that I will be able to apply the important and useful skills that I have learnt in this module! Yes, I am still learning to communicate effectively, especially the OP part. This module has given me a chance to be evaluated by my tutor and classmates and I greatly appreciate the valuable feedbacks that were given to me. Thank you and keep in contact. :)

Sabrina He said...

Hi Mindy,

I am now more aware of the importance of being assertive and not aggressive. I agree with you on the point that displaying self-confidence is important, especially in workplace as people would tend to put their trust in one with self-confidence.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sabrina,

Building good relationships with others often require more than mere words. In an acnedotal context, I tend to project a cocky and condescending image even though I do not intend to. As we have learnt during the course, such is the power of non-verbal communication; Speaking without words.

Indeed, the complexities of effective communication can be deciphered through the new knowledge we have gained during the course and we would do well to apply them in our work.

All the best and see you in class!

Cheers,
Nic

jay said...

Hi Sabrina,

I agree that the skills we picked up in the course will help us immensely in future. Closer to now would be the skill of job search. I never knew that I had to write job application letters until Ms Kim told us. How naive and inexperienced I was! :) I'm glad that we made the right choice to take this module.

We can keep in contact through facebook! :)

Cheers!

-Jay

xue said...

Hey Sabrina!

Glad to know that you have so many valuable takeways from the course! Like you, I was truly enriched by the conference with Ms Kim and I came away with a much better idea of CV and cover letter writing. The interview with you was also certainly an insightful one and it made me reflect deeply about how I should answer future interview questions! Thank you!

Good luck in your exams!
xueli

grace kim said...

Hi Sabrina,

I can see that you are now more confident about your communicative abilities as a result of doing this course and that's good! Keep up the good work and continue to work hard at improving your communication skills. All the best in your journey!

Thanks for all your hard work and effort. It was a pleasure having you in my class!